Tuesday, May 6, 2014

March 2014 Earnings from Funny Youtube Videos

My earnings for March were up some what to $788.77 from $648.81. 366,483 minutes watched up by 84,807



So a good month everything up (even dislikes)  due to 3 main events

  • Uploading lots of new content, I uploaded 18 new funny youtube videos in March
  • My Facebook page, went viral in Iran, I have no idea why, but it has generated extra traffic to my channel, and I'm not complaining :) 
  • 1 particular video doing very well...I bring you Grumpy Cat... (again!)


If I could understand why some videos do so well and others don't I would be a very rich person! However anything with cats in seems to do OK, and this video has had shed loads of shares which all helps. 

Here's a comparison of 2 videos uploaded on the same day 22nd March. Grumpy Cat started with about 1500 views on the same day and kept on rising, while Singing Candles managed around 500 views and then dropped. They were uploaded less than 2 hours apart. 




I guess the learnings from this are to maximise the views on the video when launched
  • Use social media
  • Upload at a time when it will be seen by most, which apparently is a week day lunch time (Wednesday or Thursday) Although I guess the social media activity is more important that the actual video upload time


What worked this month?


  • Verifying my account - I noticed on my account that it was not verified, no idea why, I wasn't even aware this required doing. Any how I have now duly verified my Youtube video account which has enabled me to post videos longer than 15 minutes. I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon, there's only so much  'Happy Birthday' one person can take! 
  • Over Lay Videos - But more excitingly I can now overlay a video on top of all my others. I've decided to show this in the final 10 seconds of each video, in the hope that people will click onto the next video. Cunningly I chose a video that has a good pay per 1000 views. I will report back on that in a separate post.
  • Deleting videos with a low retention rate - I weeded out a few more videos with an audience retention rate less than 50%, but my overall rate stayed at 69% still which is pretty good.
  • Uploading new content -  goes with out saying, the more quality content the more views

What's Happening Next Month?


My main focus for April is to load new content for free, which I've been able to do by finishing half done projects and reusing voice overs in new animations. One of my fiverr.com partners has also taken to sending me some very good ideas and voice overs which is a great help. So I make sure he gets a link back in the video descriptions.

Finding out more about Closed Captions, this is adding text to the video which converts into subtitles. More opportunity for increasing  keyword search views I think!

That's the March up date, I'm a little behind so I'd better get on with April's update now, thank you for reading. Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question...

No comments:

Post a Comment